Opera Carolina Fast Facts
Founded in 1948 as a Charlotte Music Club by a small group of dedicated volunteers, who believed opera performances would enrich the community, and with a budget of $125, Opera Carolina has grown from these humble beginnings into the largest professional opera company in the Carolinas with an operating budget of $2.6 million.
Opera Carolina is a member of OPERA America, Inc., and receives funds from the Arts & Science Council/Charlotte-Mecklenburg, National Endowment for the Arts, and the North Carolina Arts Council.
Opera Carolina — a community resource with a commitment to artistic excellence and community service.
James Meena — General Director & Principal Conductor
To inspire the region's diverse community through the presentation of excellent Opera, Operetta, Music Theatre and Education & Outreach Programs that elevates the quality of life in the Carolinas.
- Opera Carolina is the largest and oldest opera company in the Carolinas, headquartered in Charlotte.
- Opera Carolina's annual audience (excluding broadcasts):
- Mainstage: 20,000+
- Education programs: 50,000+ (NC, SC & GA counties)
- 90% of the artists, technicians and administrators of Opera Carolina live in greater Charlotte.
- Since 1971, Opera Carolina has been nationally recognized for its commitment to arts education.
Board of Directors Officers
Chair: Steve Hershfield, Time Warner Cable
Vice Chair: Frank Boncimino, Time Warner Cable
Secretary: Laura Collinge, US Bioservices
Treasurer: Mary Shelton Rose, PricewaterhouseCoopers
Asst. Treasurer: Alfredo Gatto, Hearst Corporation
Immediate Past Chair: Gigi Dixon, Wells Fargo
2013 / 2014 SEASON
Education & Outreach Programs
- The 2013/14 touring production is The Three Little Pigs.
- Study Guides meet the Common Core and NC Essential curriculum standards for English Language Arts, Music, and Social Studies to help teachers and students prepare for Opera Express.
STUDENT NIGHT AT THE OPERA
Public, private, and home school students attend the final dress rehearsal for Opera Carolina main stage productions.
- 1,500+ students attended in FY2012.
THE OPERA CAROLINA ACADEMY
- The Opera Carolina Academy provides professional instruction and training in classical singing, music drama, acting and movement with the region's leading artists and teachers.
- Master Classes with Opera Carolina principal artists are available to regional universities throughout the Opera season. Check the 'events' tab for upcoming dates.
- BRAVO! is Opera Carolina's premier group for young professionals interested in exploring and enhancing their enjoyment of Charlotte's vibrant performing arts scene.
- Members enjoy an After-Party at Blue Restaurant & Bar (Saturday night performances), BRAVO! Members-Only events, and E-newsletters.
- The Opera Guild has awarded over 149 Scholarships since it began its Scholarship Program in 1969.
- The Opera Guild has donated more than $1million dollars to Opera Carolina.
- The Opera Guild supports the Metropolitan Opera National Council Auditions for North Carolina and sponsors a Vocal Competition Scholarship Program at UNC Charlotte.
Opera Carolina: James Meena
General Director & Principal Conductor
Media: Brandon A. Stanley
Public Relations: Kathy Rowan