What is Music! Words! Opera! (MWO)?
Music! Words! Opera! is the nationally acclaimed OPERA America curriculum designed to introduce to students to a great operatic work (Listen and Discover), and to create and produce their own original opera (Create and Produce). Opera Carolina was the second opera company in the United States to implement this national program and has brought MWO to over 40 schools in the Charlotte area. In 2007/2008, Opera Carolina expanded MWO to three elementary schools in nearby Concord, NC.
Curriculum supports learning standards in Music and English Language Arts
Teacher Training: 30 hours (summer)
Target grade levels: K–5, 6–8
For more information contact James Meena at 704.332.7177, ext. 201 or email@example.com.
More About MWO
Listen and Discover
- Begins with an introduction to the operatic art form through the study of a great work: The Magic Flute, Aida, Madama Butterfly, and more!
- Opportunity to attend Opera Carolina's Student Night at the Opera—Final dress rehearsal for the upcoming opera.
- Access to a backstage tour of the upcoming performance at the Blumenthal Performing Arts Center Belk Theatre, NC.
Create and Produce
- Opera Carolina provides guest artists, materials and supplies, and general support for the development of original productions by the students.
- Offer students the opportunity for creativity, teamwork, and problem solving